Didn’t think you could make French toast from plants? Think again. These are soft, sweet, hearty and, best of all, can be whipped together in under 20 minutes.
French toast, or ‘eggy bread’ as we used to call it, is one of the most indulgent ways to start the day. But why use eggs when you can cook our vegan version instead? Drenched in berries and Sugar-Free Maple Syrup, our vegan French toast is a super nutritious – yet satisfying treat!
Rather than “thickening” the batter with a starch of some kind, we’ve decided to keep it all healthy and natural. And so, we went with our Organic Chia Seeds to resemble traditional French toast batter made with eggs. Small but mighty, Chia Seeds add a boost of protein, omega-3-6-9 fatty acids, and essential minerals to help fuel you throughout the day!
This recipe will prove you don’t have to spend ages stood over a hot stove to produce the perfect breakfast combination. Soak, fry, flip, and serve to make delicious vegan French toast you can have on-the-go, or at a more leisurely pace, depending on your schedule.
Follow the recipe below and make these beauties for your next breakfast!
Vegan French Toast Recipe
Time: 20 mins | Calories: 433 kcal | Protein: 18g
- 150ml dairy-free milk
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tbsp. Organic Chia Seeds
- 4-5 drops Vanilla FlavDrops
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil
- 2 slices sourdough bread
- Mixed berries
- Sugar-Free Maple Syrup
- To make the ‘egg’ mix, add the plant milk, Organic Chia Seeds, Vanilla FlavDrops and cinnamon to a bowl, and whisk well. Set aside for 5 minutes.
- Dip the bread into the ‘egg’ mix, making sure both sides are thoroughly soaked.
- Add your spread or oil to your frying pan, and heat until melted. Add your bread to the pan (it should sizzle as you put it in the pan) and fry for 5-6 minutes until golden brown. Flip the bread and cook on the other side for another 5-6 minutes.
- Top with berries and a drizzle of Syrup-Free Maple Syrup.