Recipe by Giuseppe Federici (@giuseppefederici1)
What is matcha?
Matcha is a fine green powder made from the leaves of specially-grown green tea plants. It is used as an ingredient in traditional Japanese tea ceremonies as well as a natural colouring for sweets and food. Matcha is often viewed as a superfood due it containing high levels of antioxidants known as polyphenols which have associated health benefits.
In this vegan ice-cream recipe, the matcha creates an incredible vivid green colour without needing to add any artificial colourings. It also has a unique umami taste which, combined with the natural sweetness of the frozen bananas and Vanilla Soy Protein, makes a delicious vegan dessert. The protein snack toppings add a yummy chewiness to the ice cream as well as an extra sweet chocolatey kick.
This ice-cream dessert is really quick and easy to make, has zero added sugar or sweeteners, and is packed with 40g of quality plant-based protein making it the perfect post-workout treat and healthy alternative to many store bought ice-creams. The frozen bananas give this nice-cream creamy consistency like icecream but, of course, completely dairy-free!
Matcha Vegan Nice-Cream Sundae Recipe
- 3 frozen bananas
- 1 tsp. matcha
- 1 scoop Vanilla Soy Protein Blend
- 1 Vegan Peanut Butter Cup
- 1 Filled Vegan Cookie
- Blend together the bananas, matcha, and Soy Protein powder together to create your creamy icecream.
- Pour into a bowl and top with a crumbled Peanut Butter Cup.
- Use the Filled Vegan Cookie to dip into the ice cream. Alternatively, you can heat up the Filled Vegan Cookie for a 5-8 seconds in the microwave for a warm, gooey accompaniment to your ice cream.