What is chia pudding?
Chia pudding is a nutritious breakfast or dessert made using primarily chia seeds and plant milk. Sweeteners and toppings are also usually added for extra flavour. Chia pudding makes a perfect breakfast choice as it will leave you feeling full and energised throughout your day. You can also enjoy it as a nutritious snack during the day – simply prepare one the night before and it’s ready to eat whenever you want it.
Why is chia pudding healthy?
Chia seeds are commonly viewed as a superfood due to the incredible nutritional profile packed into their tiny size.
Here are 4 of the key benefits of chia seeds that help to make chia pudding so healthy.
- High in fibre – fibre is an important macronutrient that supports blood sugar control, cholesterol levels and gut health.
- High in protein – our Organic Chia Super Seeds have a 20% protein content making them a great plant-based source of protein which is important for the growth and maintenance of muscle tissue.
- Contains healthy fats – chia seeds contain the essential omega fatty acids EPA and DHA which are important for supporting heart health.1
- Source of minerals – chia seeds contain magnesium and iron, both minerals that help to reduce feelings of tiredness or fatigue.2
Tips for making the best chia pudding
Texture – After setting in the fridge, it has a delicious pudding texture that can be added to with your favourite berries, fruit or seeds. If you find you want the consistency a bit thicker or smoother, adjust the ration of chia seeds to plant milk until your find your perfect level of thickness.
Mixing – Make sure you mix your chia seeds thoroughly with the milk to make sure they combine evenly and this will avoid any unwanted lumps or separation.
Taste – This recipe use our Maple Sugar-Free Syrup which is a fat-free and sugar-free sweetener option that is perfect for those wanting to cut down on unnecessary sugar or calories. You can add more flavour using our versatile FlavDrops which are a great way to change up the flavours quickly and easily, depending on what you feel like that day. Alternatively, if you are a chocoholic then you can add some Organic Cacao Powder to the chia seeds before mixing with the plant milk.
Storage – Chia pudding is super easy to make and can be prepared in just about anything from a glass mason jar to your trusty tupperware! When stored in the fridge, it will keep for up to a week.
Blueberry and Maple Chia Seed Pudding
- Fresh blueberries
- Organic Chia Super Seeds
- Dairy-free milk of choice
- Lemon juice
- Maple Sugar-Free Syrup
- In a small bowl, add the chia seeds, lemon juice, plant milk and half of the maple Sugar-Free Syrup. Mix well and leave covered in the fridge for at least an hour for the chia pudding to thicken.
- Next, add half the blueberries to a small pan with the rest of the maple Sugar-Free Syrup. Gently bring to a simmer, allowing the blueberries to soften and combine with the syrup. Take off the heat and cool completely.
- When ready to serve, add to a bowl or jar and add a tbsp. of the blueberry syrup and serve.