This chickpea salad sandwich is healthy and full of flavour – perfect for lunches at home or on the go.
Chickpeas are an excellent plant-based source of protein which is important in any diet for supporting muscle growth and repair. The chickpeas in this recipe are mashed to create the base of the sandwich filling and mixed with nutrient-rich sunflower seeds which add texture and a source of healthy fats.
Next, the garlic herb sauce helps to add some extra creamy flavour from the dill, lemon, garlic, salt, and pepper. The mix is then sandwiched between some bread along with a colourful and nutritious salad of tomato, avocado, onion and lettuce leaves.
This sandwich is flavourful, filling and healthy making it a great dairy-free lunch choice you can enjoy at home or in a packed lunch.
The chickpea filling isn’t just great for classic sandwiches either; it’s perfect in wraps, on crackers, or enjoyed on it’s own or as a side. You can prepare a batch and store it in the fridge for several days so you can quickly whip up a tasty lunch during the week.
Follow our recipe video for all the basic steps to make your own ultimate chickpea salad sandwich.
Easy Chickpea Salad Sandwich Recipe
- 1 can of chickpeas (rinsed and drained)
- 100g roasted unsalted sunflower seeds
- 3 Tbsp vegan mayo
- 1/2 tsp dijon or spicy mustard
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup or Sugar-Free Maple Syrup
- ½ red onion, finely diced
- 2 Tbsp fresh dill* (finely chopped)
- Pinch each salt and pepper (to taste)
- 4 pieces rustic bread / lightly toasted
- Sliced avocado, onion, tomato, and or lettuce (optional / for serving)
Garlic Herb Sauce (Optional)
- 3 TBSP of hummus
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1 tsp dried dill
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- Water or unsweetened almond milk (to thin)
- Sea salt to taste
- Mix together all the ingredients in a large bowl for the garlic and herb sauce and set aside for later.
- Add chickpeas to a mixing bowl and lightly mash with a fork for texture. Then add sunflower seeds, mayo, mustard, maple syrup, red onion, dill, salt, and pepper and mix with a spoon. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Toast bread (if desired) and prepare any other sandwich toppings you desire (tomato, onion, lettuce).
- Scoop a healthy amount of filling onto two of the pieces of bread, add toppings and sauce, and top with other two slices of bread.
- Sunflower-chickpea mixture will keep covered in the fridge for up to a few days, making it great for quick weekday lunches!