Recipe by Sophie Bertrand, MSc ANutr. (Instagram – @sophieshealthykitchen) – Writer for Sophie’s Healthy Kitchen
It’s no secret that we at Myvegan love a delicious vegan snack – there are some great recipes like this one below which show that you can enjoy all the classic sweet treats whilst following a plant-based diet. One classic sweet treat is the well-known Twix Bar. The Twix Bar was introduced to the US in 1979 and was named from the portmanteau “twin biscuit sticks”.
This homemade vegan Twix Bar recipe takes the signature layers of the classic Twix Bar (shortbread, caramel and chocolate) but makes them using completely vegan-friendly ingredients! These vegan Twix Bars are also dairy-free and free of any artificial sweeteners or preservatives. The recipe method is split into four simple steps; one for each layer and then a final step to create the final bar.
They taste so delicious and sweet, and will make the perfect homemade tray bake to take to parties or share with friends and family.
Homemade Vegan Twix Bars Recipe
Preparation time: 30 mins
Baking time (shortbread base): 10 mins
Set time (shortbread base and chocolate topping): 30-40 mins
- ½ cup coconut flour
- ½ cup ground almonds
- 1/3 cup coconut oil (melted)
- 3 tbsp. maple syrup
- ½ cup All-Natural Peanut Butter
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- Pinch of sea salt
- 70g dark dairy-free chocolate or Organic Cacao Buttons
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil
STEP 1: The Shortbread Base
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- In a large bowl, mix the coconut flour and ground almonds with the melted coconut oil and maple syrup until thoroughly combined.
- Line an 8×8 baking dish (or loaf tin for thicker layers) with parchment paper and press the shortbread mixture into the base with a spatula or spoon.
- If the shortbread mix begins to stick to the spoon, dip it in coconut oil and continue pressing until the mixture is evenly spread across the base.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for approximately 10 minutes or until a light golden colour.
STEP 2: The Caramel Layer
- Whilst the shortbread base is cooling, combine the peanut butter, coconut oil, vanilla extract, maple syrup and salt in a saucepan over a medium-low heat. Stir or whisk the mixture over the heat for 2-3 minutes until the mixture becomes one liquid.
- Remove the pan from the heat and leave to cool.
STEP 3: The Chocolate Topping
- In a heatproof bowl, break up the chocolate and add the coconut oil.
- Melt over a bain-marie and stir continuously. Alternatively, you can melt the chocolate and oil mix in a microwave at 30 second intervals, stirring in between.
STEP 4: Building the Twix Bars
- Once the shortbread and caramel have completely cooled, pour the caramel sauce evenly over the shortbread base.
- Pop this in the fridge for about 20-35 minutes until it has set.
- You’re now ready to add the final touches! Remove the shortbread base from the fridge and pour over the chocolate layer. You may need to reheat the chocolate if it has hardened, or save STEP 3 until the base has set.
- Return to the fridge for 5-10 minutes for the chocolate layer to harden.
- Once chilled, remove your Vegan Twix Bars from the fridge and pull on the sides of the parchment paper to make them easier to get out.
- Lay the Twix Bars onto a chopping board and slice into strips. Store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator and they’re ready to share with friends and family.